Monday, December 5, 2011

Chelsea Handler's Big Mouth Pays Big in Hollywood - But Will It in Her Relationships?

Credit: DON EMMERT/AFP/Getty Images
Chelsea Handler, 36, recently split from hotelier Andre Balazs. While on Piers Morgan Tonight she said, "I'm in a happy time in my life. I'm not on the prowl. I've never been on the prowl. I do like men, though."

She went on to say, "I like to be challenged. I like men who have something going on. I like men who are successful, who aren't very dependent on you. I like for them to bring something to the table that you haven't brought yourself. And I like them in small doses."

Chelsea's laundry-list description lets men know that she thinks about he personifies while simultaneously contradicting herself. She says that she isn't on the prowl. Yet, in the same breath, puts the world on notice that she has given careful thought about what she wants in a man.

Some will say, "who cares, it's not like she said that she is dying to marry." Yet, divulging her innermost thoughts isn't a good plan. The man she might want down the road can see through her words. He will smirk at how she "says" that she isn't looking, but really has a firm idea of what the ideal man resembles.

In other words, she isn't too busy to think about it. She really, really wants someone, dissecting it down to the nuances. This might make a future boyfriend take her for granted.

In The Rules for Online Dating, authors Ellen Fein and Sherrie Schneider say that women should not write a dating profile that details everything they want in a man. It's better to sound light and breezy. Mention your favorite movies, food, places to travel, and how you are out and about living life. In other words, play your cards close to the vest.

When I have been asked, "what are you looking for in a man?" my response is, "hmmm...not sure, haven't really thought about it." I would die before elaborating like Chelsea did. When he asks, "how is dating going?" I say "great!" I know him from nothing, so he gets nothing. I prefer building my rapport with him on something other than dating horror stories.

From one loud mouth to another, I respect Chelsea a ton. When it comes to dating, though, I'd rather keep him guessing about my next move than let him see into my soul. Men want mystery and excitement just as much as women do. Don't take it away from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment